Thursday, February 17, 2011

Aluminium v's wooden windows?

So after reading a fellow bloggers site "french doors and verandahs" I have really started thinking about my  windows and doors.

So far we are getting quotes on all our windows to be double hung aluminium


These are a Trend product and I really like that they look like wooden windows and have that very fine detail at the top.

Ours would be white and if we purchased wooden windows I would have them painted white as well!  So does it really matter if they are aluminium?
My only concern is that our exterior will be weather boards not brick! will this effect the "look"

Also remember that the windows are an absolute focal point of the house. Being on 25acres you will see every window when you walk around the outside.  All the windows will be sheltered from by a verandah with an awning on the west wall.

Oh I love these as an internal door as well! what do you think

Oh decisions decisions
xx

6 comments:

  1. Beck - I love, love, love the doors! I would have had them in our house, but they didn't match the overall style. Please get them and let me live vicariously through you!

    As for the windows, if aluminium is your preference, I say go for it. Perhaps you could build a timber frame around them on the outside to highlight them as a feature...

    M
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beck,
    I wish I could help you with this, but I'm not sure of the pros and cons of timber and aluminium. How exciting to be building a home in the country! Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Beck
    Thanks for the comment,
    Our windows are aluminium and I am really happy with them, and love even more that i will never have to paint them.
    We had some windows from trend in our old house in I think meranti or something and they were terrible, if you are going to go timber you have to get really good quality or they look bad.
    The builder ordered the front door it was made for us so can't give you a name but your builder should be able to arrange something
    Try Wood Workers
    Our ceilings in the back half of the house are 3m and 2.7 in the rest of the house. I love the fixed windows they let in so much light especially with our large undercover deck.
    I like the internal doors, they look very tall. We are having ones that look like timber panelling with a fram around them,
    Looking forward to watching your build
    Mekaela

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing your exciting plans unfold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Althought I prefer the look of timber windows we went with aluminium. Main reason: maintenance!
    Timber windows require a lot of maintenance, which was something we didn't want to deal with. Aluminium windows are cheaper too.

    Good luck with your decisions :)

    B

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cant believe how behind I am on posts! I am a bit different. We have all timber french doors and windows except in the bathrooms we went for white aluminium. You cant really notice the difference as the they are all double hung. xx

    ReplyDelete